Having trouble achieving your goals? It seems you’re trying all your best, yet you’re not achieving your goals. You have to put in more work than that if you really want to get anywhere. So what can you do instead? You better WOOP your goals into reality. This “goofy” acronym is a thinking strategy that helps you focus on what’s preventing you from achieving your goals, tackle them, and make the best out of your productivity. Let’s WOOP!
Related media: What is WOOP?
It’s Time To WOOP Your Life
The WOOP acronym stands for Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, Plan. These four words are what makes up the four-step thinking strategy you need in tackling and achieving your goals. In several studies, this strategy has been described as “mental contrasting.” What this means is that, you have to essentially picture yourself achieving your goals — yes, a little bit of imagination might help you get there — in comparison with your present life. By contrast, the two scenarios can help you identify the obstacles preventing you from achieving your dream life.
How Do I WOOP?
Here’s a hypothetical situation to help you WOOP your life and achieve your goals:
- Identify your Wish: This could be a bigger career goal or even a small personal goal, like starting to workout or starting a healthy diet. Just WOOP it all!
- Identify the best possible Outcome of that wish coming true: How would you feel if you could achieve your goal? If its exercising, maybe you would feel more productive. If its eating healthy, maybe you would feel healthier than you use to.
- Identify the Obstacles keeping you from fulfilling your wish: What stops you from attaining your goals? In the workout situation, maybe you’re just too lazy or you’re having the perception its too hard. With the healthy diet dilemma, maybe you’re just craving for junk food too often.
- Identify a Plan to fulfill your wish: What do you need to do to start overcoming those obstacles? To tackle your workouts, you can join a keep-fit club or register with a local gym and start working out daily — you could also commit to doing push-ups or stretching. To keep a healthy diet plan, you just have to keep in mind that junk foods contain a lot of calories that would ruin your workout as well.
WOOPing Your Way Out
Considering the hypothetical case above, you’d notice that WOOP isn’t reserved for the perplexing life-challenges. Just as the website suggests;
“[WOOP] can support all areas of behavior change. It is for people who feel stuck and don’t know what to do. It is also for people whose lives seem just fine but who feel they can do better. And it is for people who face a particular challenge or transition.”
These are not just mere words. Here are results of the WOOP researches that saw significant difference:
- Dating: WOOP helped study participants reduce insecurity-based behaviors (like looking through a partner’s phone) and increase their commitment to romantic relationships.
- Education: WOOP increased high school students’ efforts to prepare for standardized tests by 60 percent.
- Fitness: WOOP helped study participants double the amount of exercise they performed over a four-month period. Bonus: It helped participants increase fruit and vegetable intake by 30 percent over two years, too.
- Health: WOOP helped patients suffering from Type II Diabetes improve their self-care.
- Sociology: WOOP helped study participants increase tolerance and social responsibility towards people of prejudiced groups.
Read more facts like this one in your inbox. Sign up for our daily email here.
The Factionary is ever ready to provide you with more interesting content for your reading pleasure. If you’re amazed by our work, you can support us on Patreon by a donation fee of your choice. Thank you!
Written by: Nana Kwadwo, Sat, Mar 16, 2019.